CHIRK TOWN COUNCIL
CYNGOR TREF Y WAUN
MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY COUNCIL MEETING HELD 28th OCTOBER 2015
Cllrs Mr Dewi Evans (Chairman) (DE) Mr Barry Evans (BE), Mrs J
Allen (JA), Mrs H J Spragg (HS), Mrs B Humphreys (BH), Mr F Hemmings
(FH), Mr J Vant (JV), Mr B Colley (BC),
Mr D Poppitt (DP), Mrs S Newell (SN) and Mrs C
Apologies for absence were received from Cllrs Mr M Roberts, Mr N James & Mr M Holmes and Cllr Mr T Evans WCBC.
64. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
None were reported.
65. MINUTES OF COUNCIL MEETINGS HELD 30th SEPTEMBER 2015
The minutes of the Council meetings were confirmed as a correct record. Proposer BE/Seconder JA.
66. MATTERS ARISING
Meeting about Grave W2 with family yet to take place. FH
Review onsite individual councillors to visit and then meet together to decide appropriate action.
67. NEIGHBOURHOOD POLICING
Statistics from the last three months read out.
Go Safe vehicle today sited at Brynkynalt.
FH asked that folks on cycles be reminded to where high viz clothing and use lights. PCSO has put out a tweet to this effect in the last day or so. He has spoken to 2 people to advise. Mention to Paper shop owners for their paper delivery squads.
Mention of Parking by Taxi Company (Cabs are Here) parking on double yellow lines in Colliery Road. Was planning permission needed to operate from those premises ? SJ to enquire.
68. REPORT OF FINANCE COMMITTEE HELD 14th OCTOBER 2015
Confirmed as a correct record. Proposer BE/Seconder JA
69. REPORTS FROM COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVES
JA One Voice Wales Conference (OVW) Saturday 3rd October Pontrhydfendigaid.
Speakers Leighton Andrews AM, Dr Jonathan Owen NALC and Keith Edwards Ministerial Adviser Future Role of Mutuals
79% of eligible councils have now joined OVW. Approaching saturation.
Financial Management Precept, Approach WCBC with the question What else is likely to be devolved ?
Case studies: Social Enterprise and Income generation covered.
All motions carried.
JA Remuneration proposals from Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales
Consultation open until 31.12.15
The determinations affecting community and town councils fall into five categories:
1. To ensure at least some expenses involved in representing the community can be met up to
2. To allow expenses of partnership and engagement outside the council to be met.
3. To ensure costs of holding civic office are catered for.
4. To allow for particular senior/demanding roles to be recognised up to 3 posts at £500 pa.
5. To permit the payment of an allowance for the care of dependents to be met where necessary
in order to allow members to attend meetings.
(Note: points 4 and 5 are newly introduced)
JA OVW Local Group Wrexham & Flintshire
Good attendance & Speakers
Fighting on issues @ WCBC
Glyn Valley Tramway Trust meeting (GVTT) New appointments of Trustees/Officers.
Felled trees @ Station
Meeting SP Energy, 9th October Lever Bridge - £100k of work pro bono, SJ & DE attended, Mayor of Wrexham was Guest of Honour good PR event.
JA Rail Users Assn. Shrewsbury Chester. Strong management team
Meeting Oct 10th 40 members attended.
JA Chirk & Ceriog Partnership have an upcoming meeting
FH Christmas Lights Committee
December 5th at 6pm Mayor of Wrexham to do the honours. Loan of Cherry Picker from Darren Hughes Morgan Security.
DP Defibrillator update. The cabinet purchased by Chirk TC has been mounted in the Spar store courtesy of Cllr. Mark Holmes. CPR sessions are scheduled for the 1st three Thursdays in November in the Council Chamber.
The Chair expressed thanks to DP for all his efforts.
SJ attended the WCBC budget consultation event Difficult Decisions 13th October and provided oral report.
SJ attended Wrexham Town and Community Council Forum 15th October and provided oral report.
SJ, JA and BH attended Planning Aid Wales workshop, Guildhall Wrexham 22nd October and provided oral report.
70. REPORTS LOCAL MEMBERS WREXHAM CBC
71. REMEMBRANCE SUNDAY
SJ handed all Councillors the service sheet for the Remembrance Sunday.
Apologies from JA who will be unable to attend the service.
HS invited Councillors to join the short service at Pentre War Memorial.
72. APPEALS FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
73. HEALTH CENTRE CONSTITUENTS CONCERNS/COMMUNITY AGENT ROLE
We have a state of the art Health Centre but it is closed at weekends. Only phone support to either Out of hours GP service or A&E. Not seemingly 21st Century.
It was proposed by BE and seconded by HS to invite the Practice Manager to a Council General Purposes Committee to be organised at her convenience. There have been requests and offers to have a tour of the new Health Centre and it is hoped this can be organised in the near future.
Oswestry has good cover outside normal weekday working hours.
Comments about the car parking adjacent to the Health Centre patients have problems.
HS commented that there are real concerns and issues patients have informed her of. It would be good to make them known officially to the management of the Health Centre.
With regard to the Community Agent role, FH made the case that if funding could be found this would be a good initiative. JA made comment of the Health Lottery and that we should register for the next time our county becomes eligible to apply for grant funding. SJ will continue to research any funding options that could be utilised.
74. LITTER/DOG MESS ON RECREATIONAL GROUND/CHAPEL LANE AREAS
Process of clearing dog mess/glass (broken) embedded there are Health & Safety Issues for employees.
Chapel Lane all around pitch and on the play area too. Childrens Play Areas should be NO DOGS.
Liability is Chirk Town Council liable does our Public Liability insurance cover OK ? Who is responsible ?
Clarification on what the law states now. Marked play areas already NO DOGS ?
Survey to take place on 9th November by SJ to note where signs were and how to improve matters overall.
Kept on leads/or No Dogs Allowed options for signs ?
Jo Rodgers make contact and liaise with she is the Dog Warden at Wrexham County BC.
Dog Mess - Make a byelaw ? Clarification can we do this ? Refer to WCBC.
SJ will endeavour to make further research and report at a future meeting.
75. TRAFFIC SPEED SHOULD A 20MPH APPLY/USE OF ELECTRONIC SIGNS
Matter of active speed limit signs has been raised before at Council.
Look at powered vs. solar - SJ to request a quote.
Rhos/Ponciau Already have traffic calming and 20mph speed limit.
Look at 20mph for Colliery Rd, Chapel Lane & Castle Road, Church St ?
Reduce speeds within Brynkinalt & Lodgevale estates.
SJ to write to WCBC with a proposal to be the 1st TOWN to implement a 20mph zone throughout.
76. CHAIRMANS ALLOWANCE
From a general point of view - £100 pa at Chairmans discretion. This year approx. half remains with 5 months to go. SJ advises any additional monies needed can be managed through the usual Donations mechanism.
FH suggests increasing to £200 from now.
JA thought £150 with approval needed for any excess.
BE if money runs out go back to Clerk/Responsible Financial Officer
SJ believes the whole subject should be reviewed in depth at a future Finance Committee. He will write a report for consideration.
77. PETITION CHARGING FOR PARKING AND RELATIONSHIP TO HIGH STREET
In essence we wish to keep parking free in Chirk. All individual Councillors are encouraged to sign the Petition.
Tesco Green Spaces
An exciting opportunity to apply for funding for a local
environmental project through the Tesco's Carrier bag community
fund . To find out details about how to nominate a site or apply for
a grant please follow the link. http://www.groundwork.org.uk/Sites/tescocommunityscheme
FREE dog microchipping events in your
Clwydian Range & Dee Valley Area of
Outstanding Natural Beauty
Local County Council Members & Community Council Members Meeting The Clwydian Range &
Dee Valley AONB Team would like to invite you to join them at the:
· Kimberly Caruana WCBC Housing Strategy Project Officer Statutory rough sleeper count across Wrexham 2015. Any potential locations in Chirk to advise of. SJ to reply, Top of Recreational Ground and Canal Wood.
· Lowri Edwards, Project Support Officer, Cadwyn Clwyd Local Action Group covering rural Denbighshire, Flintshire and Wrexham inviting Community Groups to come forward with project ideas. The LEADER programme is part of the Welsh Government Rural Communities Rural Development Programme 2014 2020, which is financed by the Welsh Government and European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD). The programme will be able to provide financial support towards up to 70% of a projects costs. Eligible costs include professional fees and services, and some small scale equipment costs (no more than £10,000 inc. VAT). Possible projects could include mentorship, training, feasibility studies, or pilot projects testing an innovative new idea or concept. Each project will need to fit with one of the five LEADER themes. - Noted
· Finance Committee of National Assembly of Wales Consulting on the draft Public Services Ombudsman (Wales) Bill. Noted
· An offer from Ilkley & District Motor Club they are running the WalesGB rally stage at Chirk Castle. To raise money for a community cause Chirk Town Council have been offered 2 Guest Passes for the whole event normally £99 each. SJ suggested the U13 Football Club be the beneficiary as we are replacing the goal posts on Chapel Lane pitch. SJ will endeavour to publicise and it was agreed by Council.
79. PLANNING MATTERS
The following applications for planning consent received from the Chief Planning Officer, Wrexham County Borough Planning Authority under the consultation procedures for consideration and comment was dealt with.
· P/2015/0700 Construction of Steel Support Structure for Two Air Grading Cyclones for separation of surface and core layer material for the Particle Board Process. Kronospan Ltd, Holyhead Road, Chirk, Wrexham.
Comments: JA proposed/BC seconded that currently The Council has insufficient information on environmental impact and more detail on the amendment to the Environmental Permit that is also understood to be required with this information an informed decision can be reached. SJ will follow up.
P/2015/0728 Erection of Building to contain Three Gas Engines and
Three Steam Boilers, Erection of Electrical Substation Building, Oil
Tank Compound, A Duct from the Press Abatement System to carry
process Emissions to the SEKA (WESP) Stack and Associated
Infrastructure to Support Existing Production Operations.
Comments: The committee feel unable to comment as not enough understanding and knowledge for each element of the application. JA proposed/SN seconded that we should seek guidance on splitting the application into individual elements. Seeing results of Noise and Dust Assessment of negligible difference overall disguises the impact that some of the changes may bring about. SJ will follow up.
P/2015/0730 Variation of Conditions Nos 1 and 10 of
Planning Permission P/2007/0324 to allow for a One Year Extension to
the Operational Life of the Landfill Facility followed by a 12
Months Period for Site Restoration
Comments: BH proposed/BE seconded and carried that the application be refused.
P/2015/0762 Application for prior approval for the siting
and appearance of 20M High Monopole upgrade and associated antennas
and equipment cabinet.
Comments: The Council has no objection to the proposal.
A list of invoices and payments amounting to £9,182.49 were given to the Council and were passed for payment (see addendum).
Quarterly Accounts Report
SJ presented both Bank Reconciliation and Expenditure vs. Budget reports to 30th September 2015. Noted
81. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
FH - Cemetery Grave W2 Councillors invited to visit for themselves and with some photos should be brought to the next General Purposes Committee meeting. It was suggested members could visit on Saturday 7th November but some felt unease at all Councillors visiting en-mass so it was thought better to visit on an individual basis in the coming days.
BC What is the current status of rollout of high speed broadband in Chirk there are still many who have no access. Have we a contact in the Welsh Assembly ? FH has had correspondence with Julie James Deputy Minister for Skills and Technology.
FH - It is understood that in Shropshire a consultation exercise is underway to consider making the A5 a dual carriageway from Oswestry to Shrewsbury. On this side of the border we should also seeking to extend through to the Ruabon By-pass.
BH in Pentre there is a problem with the repair of a street light it was damaged in August but getting the County Borough to organise a repair is falling on deaf ears. Suggest SJ write on behalf of Chirk Council to put on pressure.
CG Shepherds Lane resident Parking outside cemetery signage always full.
SJ - Thoughts about a logo for Chirk Town Council. Possible competition for school children ? Other ideas. The Clerk will continue research and report to a future meeting.
Signed Chairman 25th November 2015