MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING HELD 26th SEPTEMBER 2018
Cllrs. Mrs Jackie Allen (JA), Mr Brian Colley (BC), Mrs Barbara
Not Present: Cllr. Ms Kirsty Cottam.
Apologies for absence: Cllrs. Mr Michael Maxfield, Mr Mark Holmes &
Miss Lynne Painter.
The draft minutes for the Council Meeting held 25th July
2018 are now put to the Council as an accurate record of
proceedings. Under minute 49, EB asked the record to show her
concern over the triage practice that appears to place serious cases
lower in priority over others which many question why they are
treated ahead. The motion proposed TE and seconded EB was passed
unanimously. EB made a request for minutes to be published
within 10 days of the meeting as previously agreed to.
TO CONFIRM AND SIGN THE MINUTES AS A
TRUE RECORD OF THE SPECIAL MEETING HELD ON 21ST AUGUST
68. TO CONSIDER ANY MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES RECEIVED ABOVE NOT REPORTED ELSEWHERE.
Minute 49 FH advises that another meeting with Welsh Ambulance Trust is to take place.
Minute 62 FH has updated his view on the work undertaken and removing the trees has made a good deal of difference. TE commented that the Contractor Aled Lewis has done an excellent job.
Minute 65 members request that Highways are invited to a meeting
to hear the case concerning the effect of increasing the number of
HGV movements. A letter included in correspondence from Sam Heyward
was brought up now because of direct relevance. See minute 79 for
69. TO CONSIDER NEIGHBOURHOOD POLICING MATTERS.
There is no PCSO present so members took time to look over the Chirk crime reports for August and September. For August 3 crimes are recorded and September 6. In addition, anti-social behaviour statistics for August were 7 and September 4. Under ASB there is an instance of a drugs related matter in the vicinity of the Tavern (formally the British Legion). EB expressed her concern but other members were confident that the licensee is making best efforts to ensure there is no drug taking on the premises. EB added her frustration over the fact a representative of the Police force is not present at tonights meeting. Members were sympathetic but understand that Insp. Owens had explained there would be some instances where attendance at our monthly meeting would not always be possible. BC touched on the lack of credibility related to the 101 non-urgent contact number for the Police. Mention of the Crimestoppers line as another channel was made. He attended a recent presentation from a member of the Police drug squad where mention of these shortcomings were raised.
TO RECEIVE REPORT AND RECOMMENDATIONS FROM FINANCE SUB-COMMITTEE
MEETING HELD 21ST AUGUST 2018.
TO RECEIVE REPORT FROM
GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE MEETING HELD 12TH
72. TO RECEIVE ORAL REPORTS FROM COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVES.
BC as well as SJ attended the quarterly meeting of the Town &
Community Council forum hosted by Wrexham CBC at the Guildhall in
Wrexham on September 20th. The main item was an
informative but disturbing presentation on County Lines. This
relates to the method of distributing drugs within a community
orchestrated by organised crime groups. In our geography these
mostly are based on Merseyside. There are many young people forced
to become involved and the Police see them as victims. There is a
You Tube video that members are encourage to watch that better
explains. Go to
BC did raise his frustration over where to properly report drug
crime as the 101 service is extremely poor. He suggested a
dedicated line but the response from the presenter non-committal.
73. TO RECEIVE ORAL REPORTS FROM LOCAL MEMBERS WREXHAM CBC.
FH recently attended a WCBC training session on School Curriculum
changes as well as alterations on how best to make comparison
between the performance of schools in Wales. The current league
tables are to be dropped. Also attended a meeting on the process of
drawing up a Local Development Plan (LDP) where he notes there is
contention over the provision of suitable sites for Travellers in
the County Borough. Mention of the use of the site opposite Chirk
Airfield was also made, there is a legal process underway to ensure
the terms of the planning approval given are adhered to. Only 7
permanent pitches have been approved and the recent occupation by
visiting Travellers is outside of this.
· Street lights on Trap Bank have been repaired.
· The recent work to paint (or repaint) double yellow lines on Colliery Road/Station Ave and other areas.
· Noted the instance of some blocked drains after recent poor weather. These have been reported.
· The recent storm that saw a tree blown down and hitting the bus shelter opposite Chapel Lane Recreation Ground. Serious structural damage but thankfully no personal injury. This stone shelter is one of 3 built in the1970s which should be reinstated. All parties are looking at how this can be undertaken, WCBC and Kronospan Ltd particularly and whether there is insurance cover to pay for the repair.
SW mentioned that the style down The Glen has been damaged. A
report has been submitted to Wrexham CBC.
74. TO DECIDE UPON APPEALS FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE RECEIVED.
· Dynamic Centre for Children and Young People with Disabilities proposed TE, seconded DG to grant £100 motion carried.
· Marie Curie Nurses proposed EB, seconded SW to grant £100 motion carried.
· Sqn. 856 ATC, Chirk members agreed to leave in abeyance and for the appeal to be represented in the new financial year beginning April 2019.
Friends of Chirk Station
have been successful in securing a grant to receive 8 silhouettes of
WW1 soldiers as part of the There but not There commemoration, 100
years ago of the cessation of hostilities on 11th
November 1918. They are holding a community event on 27th
October 2018 initially at Chirk Railway Station with refreshments to
be served at the Parish Hall. The request is for the Council to
donate the usual hire fee. SJ calculates this as £31.50. Proposed
GB, seconded TE to waive the hire charge motion carried.
TO CONSIDER THE INSTALLATION OF PLAY EQUIPMENT DESIGNED FOR CHILDREN
WHO ARE CONFINED TO A WHEELCHAIR AND ESTABLISH A GRANT APPLICATIONS
SUB-COMMITTEE TO SOURCE THE REQUIRED FUNDS.
TO DECIDE IF FURTHER PRESSURE CAN BE BROUGHT ABOUT TO FIX BROADBAND
NOT-SPOTS IN CHIRK.
TO NOTE THE FINAL RECOMMENDATIONS REPORT FOR THE 2018 REVIEW OF
PARLIAMENTARY CONSTITUENCIES IN WALES.
TO RECEIVE ANNUAL RETURN 2017/18 EXTERNAL AUDITORS REPORT.
TO RECEIVE THE ORAL REPORT OF THE CLERK INCLUDES CORRESPONDENCE.
· Town and Community Councils Review Findings Llandrindod Wells August 15th 2018
· Chirk & Ceiriog Valley Partnership met at Glyn Wylfa, September 19th 2018.
· Wrexham Town and Community Council Forum Guildhall, Wrexham September 20th 2018.
Society of Local Council Clerks Llangollen September 20th
Additional matters to note:
· The July report from Kingdom Security was shared with members. They are engaged by Wrexham CBC to issue penalty notices for littering and dog fouling/control transgressions.
· JA and SJ have been invited to attend a Thank You Concert at Chirk Methodist Church in celebration of the completion of the replacement roof project.
· The Secretary of the Chirk History Society, a regular user of Chirk Parish Hall for 28 years has a request to members. He recollects a ramp at the front door and requests whether a temporary ramp could be available to assist him accessing the Hall. He appreciates that there is a ramp allowing access to the side entrance but this is a long way round. SJ will make some enquiries.
Estimates for improvements to both Offa and Black Park Play Areas
have now been received from 2 suppliers. These will now be
considered in more detail by the Finance Committee and they will
bring forward proposals to Full Council in due course.
· Thomas Robinson Crest Leisure Ltd T/A The Boathouse Letter seeking Council support for the reinstatement of a pedestrian bridge across the Llangollen Canal adjacent to Chirk Marina & The Boathouse. Noted and members agreed to support a formal request to Kronospan Ltd to grant permission for such a bridge to be built as well as exploring funding options. Add to the next General Purposes Committee agenda to look at in more detail.
· Sam Heyward STOP Kronospan Pollution Letter requesting a Public Meeting with all relevant parties along the lines of the meeting hosted by Chirk Town Council in 2016. Noted and members request that the Clerk write to the Chairman, Mr Mike McKenna, of Kronospan Ltd inviting their participation. It was suggested that the 3rd or 4th week of October be targeted for the meeting to take place.
· Chirk AAA Ltd Notification of an Organised Bonfire Night on Monday November 5th. Noted.
· Nightingale House Hospice Letter of thanks for £200 donation. Noted.
· Home Start Letter of thanks for £50 donation. Noted.
· Chirk Gardeners Club Letter of thanks for £100 donation. Noted.
Wales Childrens Air Ambulance
Letter of thanks for £100 donation.
TO RECEIVE REPORT AND RECOMMENDATIONS
FROM PLANNING SUB-COMMITTEE MEETINGS HELD 25TH JULY & 7TH
TO APPROVE PAYMENTS TO BE MADE AS ON
82. TO PRESENT ITEMS FOR INCLUSION ON THE NEXT AGENDA.
FH after attending a Chirk Charities meeting extends an invitation
to Chirk Councillors to participate in an upcoming Dementia Friends
Meeting closed 9:02pm.
Signed Chairman 31st October 2018